I’ve been making Myles a birthday cake every year, since we started seriously dating nine years ago. The very first cake I made for him happened to be a red velvet (one of his favorites), it was also the first cake I’d ever baked that wasn’t from a box. I was just starting to discover my love for baking, and was so excited about this cake. It’s a funny memory now, but using the crappy oven in my dorm’s kitchen left the middle quite doughy. I remember frantically calling a friend who was a more experienced baker than I, to help fix it. After realizing that if it baked for any longer, it would burn, I decided to take it out of the oven and just cut out the middle — turning it into a Bundt cake, ha!
For this year’s birthday, I thought I’d try my hand at a carrot cake. It’s not my first attempt. Last Easter I also made a carrot cake. I went for a healthier version, and it tasted just, okay. This time around, I went for the real deal, and it was a hit! This carrot cake is flavorful, moist, and the cream cheese frosting is a nice compliment, as it’s not overly sweet.
It’s a great any time dessert, or maybe for your Easter table this year!
4 eggs, whisked
3 cups carrots, grated
2 cups flour
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup canola oil
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon all spice
Additional pecans for garnish
Cream Cheese Frosting
3 cups confectioners sugar
8 ounce package of cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, baking soda, and baking powder.
2. Add whisked eggs, canola oil, and vanilla.
3. Combine with crushed pineapple and grated carrots.
4. Fold in chopped pecans.
5. Grease two 8 inch pans with butter and fill each half way with batter.
6. Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow cake to cool, while you prep frosting.
8. For frosting: cream together sugar, cream cheese and vanilla.
9. Frost cake and garnish with chopped pecans. Enjoy!